There’s no better way to round out the summertime than with a get together in celebration of everyone who keeps the economy going. Celebrating the achievements and contributions of American workers became a federal holiday in 1894, and we’ve been using that three-day weekend ever since to spend time with friends and family!
Why Tinned Fish?
It may not seem like it, but tinned fish are on the rage right now! These small cans of fish are loaded in protein, omega-3’s, and plenty of healthy fats. A great alternative for someone incorporating a healthier diet into their lifestyle.
The best thing about going to any Labor Day weekend celebration is enjoying the Tuna Salad, right? No? You must not have tried this recipe yet! Served with crackers, chips or made into a sandwich, this meal is a staple for any party.
- 1 Tin of Tuna (Try BELA Jarred Skipjack Tuna Fillets for this recipe!)
- ½ Celery
- ¼ Red Onion
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- ½ tbsp Dijon Mustard
- Drain your tin of Tuna and place in a medium sized bowl.
- Finely chop Celery, Red Onion, and Parsley.
- Add chopped ingredients, along with Mayonnaise, Dijon Mustard to your bowl.
- Mix! (Make sure to break up any large pieces of tuna for best results)
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Nothing says American eating, quite like a dish from the Netherlands! Coleslaw can trace its roots as far back as ancient Rome, however Americans put their twist on the savory dish, and now so have we! Serve cold at any social gathering to be the talk of the town for the rest of the week.
- 1 Tin of Sardines (Our Recommendation: Minerva Skinless & Boneless Sardines)
- ¼ Cabbage
- 1 Carrot
- ¼ Red Onion
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- 2 Lettuce Leaves
- Mayonnaise (Can substitute for Sour Cream if preferred)
- Scrap the back of the carrot, slicing the carrot into thin pieces about 1-2 inches long.
- Remove the seeds from the green bell pepper and the skin from the onion.
- Wash vegetables thoroughly.
- Chop the lettuce, cabbage, red onion, and green pepper into small chunks.
- Mash the sardines with a fork into small pieces, as well.
- Put all of the ingredients into a medium sized bowl.
- Add in Mayonnaise, and stir again.
- Place in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
Mackerel Mac & Cheese
Nothing says, “Let’s throw down a blanket and enjoy a warm summer afternoon,” quite like a bowl of delicious Mackerel Mac & Cheese. Eat this meal as a complimentary side or make some green vegetables along with it, and enjoy the dish as your main entree! Best served hot off the stove top.
- 1 lb Elbow Macaroni
- 1 Tin of Mackerel (Best with Manná Gourmet Mackerel Fillets)
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 6 oz Cheddar Cheese, shredded (roughly 2 cups)
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 & ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- Season water with 2 tsp salt.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat cream in a heavy saucepan or cast iron skillet over medium heat until cream begins to bubble.
- Add in the cheeses, ½ tsp of salt, and ½ tsp of pepper to heavy cream.
- Stir the cheese sauce until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
- Drain the tin of mackerel, warm up, and add the fish to the cheese mixture.
- Once the noodles are cooked, add drained pasta to the cheese sauce.
- Once the meal is stirred completely, enjoy.
Now, It’s Your Turn!
Regardless if you’re able to make it over to a friend's house this weekend or if you’re looking forward to some quiet time at home, everyone should be able to enjoy some tasty tinned fish. Sardines, Mackerel, and Tuna are all healthy options for anyone hoping to spice up their normal choice of protein. Not to mention, they’re delicious too! If you’re needing some help shopping for tinned fish, feel free to check out our selections of flavorful fish at TinCanFish!